BEAT - Blackshaw Environmental Action Team (BEAT) was formed in 1998 as a result of a successful local campaign against off road motorcycle racing on Dukes Cut. The campaign was launched to stop environmental damage and hundreds of local people signed a petition and sent letters of objection.
BEAT has the following aims:
- To protect nature, wildlife and the general environment in Blackshaw.
- To ensure that local and national authorities and organisations act to conserve the area, involving local people in the process.
- To monitor and oppose any activity detrimental to nature, wildlife and the general environment in the area.
- To assist and/or develop any plan which enhances nature, wildlife and the general environment in the area.
- To encourage, promote and assist the introduction of domestic renewable energy technologies and similar sustainable initiatives, sympathetic to the general environment in the area.
- To promote, develop and sustain measures for the benefit of the environment in the area.