Alston: Sustainable Alston Moor
Sustainable Alston Moor, or SAM for short, is a rapidly growing group of interested volunteers, most of us residents on Alston Moor. We are now constituted as a charitable company limited by guarantee, with a steering group of Trustees.
We all came together through a shared interest in looking at Alston Moor’s needs and capacity to make itself more sustainable.
Our shared meaning of sustainable is:
- Raising awareness of climate change and how our current lifestyles contribute to it
- Moving Alston moor towards a low carbon and lower impact way of living
- Identifying some of the key pressure points that peak oil would place on Alston Moor
- Identifying solutions to these challenges
We work around the following five themes:
- Renewable Energy
- Local Food
- Communications and Education
- Local Well-being
We currently have more than 150 Alston Moor residents on our mailing list. If you are resident on Alston Moor please join us by signing up to be kept informed. Bring along your ideas and get support to take action.
We are just a group of ordinary folk wanting to do something to make it a continued pleasure to live, work and play on Alston Moor, and ensure that the overall well being of our community is not disadvantaged by our remote rural location.
Amongst our current projects are
- A Credit Union
- A SAM Information shop
- Community allotments and Composting
- Car club/car share scheme.
Please have a look at our informative website at www.sustainablealstonmoor.org where you can find out more information, when our meetings are and how you can get involved.