Page for conference
We're now delighted to confirm that the 2010 Transition Network UK conference will be held at Seale Hayne, (an old agricultural college in Devon), just outside Newton Abbott, over the weekend of 12 to 13-June.
People will be arriving on Friday 11-June for a 10am start on Saturday 12-June. We'll close just before lunchtime on Monday 14-June.
The venue is great:
- it's got enough accommodation for just about everyone to be on-site for the whole conference
- the price is good
- it's only a short distance (3 miles) from a mainline rail station and
- it's quite close to Totnes.
All these factors should enable us to keep a low carbon footprint for the event, to create the cohesive ambience that was missing from the (otherwise wonderful) London venue, to keep it as affordable as possible and finally, to enable people to pay a visit to the first Transition Town - Totnes.
Getting there: travel
By bike: catch the train to Newton Abbot and then check out the googlemap for the least trafficky route.
View Seale Hayne: cycle route in a larger map
By train: trains arrive direct to Newton Abbot from as far afield as Glasgow, Edinburgh, Birmingham and London. As an example of times, London (Paddington) is well under 3 hours away, and trains go hourly. From Birmingham, it takes less than 3 hours and trains leave every half hour.
By car: detailed directions to be added later. It's basically go to the end of the M5 onto the A38, hang a left after 10 miles signposted "Newton Abbot" and then... (details to follow)
Ed thinks we may be able to embed the eventbrite booking form into here which would be cool, innit?
Members of the press are very welcome to participate in or observe all and any aspect of the conference, as long as they sign up (by email or on a sheet at the conference) to the following protocol:
- All press must register through the normal channels, paying full price
- All press must state which publication (or freelance) they represent (signup form or email)
- All press must make themselves known to one of the Transition Network conference organisers person on arrival
- Transition Network will provide press with an identifiable badge with name and publication
- Press must wear the badge at all times
- Any press person engaging a conference participant in conversation must explicitly convey whether the conversation is on the record or off the record
- All participants will be told that if they feel uncomfortable talking to the press that it is their responsibility to express that (politely) before the conversations start
- Dress code for conference - if you're in a suit, you'll be the only one :¬)